PLEASE BEWARE - Email Fraud is on the rise. Our office will never send you wire instructions via email. Call our office immediately if you receive wire instructions by email.

Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions

Accident FAQs

If you have been injured because of someone else's negligence, you may have many questions about issues that may affect your personal injury case. These situations can be very confusing, and understanding the laws that may affect you and the steps you will need to take to pursue compensation is not always easy. Here at Dickler, Kahn, Slowikowski & Zavell, Ltd., we work to educate our clients about their rights and advise them of their options in these situations. We want to share answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about these matters in order to assist people in understanding their rights and how they may be able to recover compensatory damages following a personal injury.

When Can I Pursue a Personal Injury Lawsuit?

In general, you can take legal action against anyone who caused you to suffer an injury through negligence or intentional actions. In cases where someone owed you a duty of care, meaning that they were required to take reasonable, appropriate actions to protect your safety, you can pursue a personal injury lawsuit to address injuries you suffered because of their failure to uphold that duty. For example, if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, you can pursue compensation from a negligent driver who failed to take the proper measures to protect the safety of others on the road. Other examples of personal injury cases include medical malpractice claims against doctors or other professionals who caused injuries because they provided substandard care, premises liability claims against property owners who did not protect the safety of their visitors, or product liability claims against companies that allowed dangerous products to be sold to consumers.

What Types of Damages Can I Receive in a Personal Injury Case?

When you pursue a personal injury lawsuit, you can seek to recover compensatory damages for the harm that was caused. These damages are intended to compensate you for the ways you have been affected by your injury. Economic damages may address the financial losses you have experienced, and they may include medical expenses, lost wages, and impairment to your future income-earning ability. Non-economic damages may address other ways you have been affected, including pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. In some cases, punitive damages may also be available if the defendant's conduct was especially egregious or intentional. Punitive damages are designed to punish wrongdoers and deter similar behavior in the future. The amount of money that may be awarded in your personal injury case will be based on several factors, including the severity of your injuries, your past and future costs, and the ways you and your family have been affected.

How Much Can I Receive in Compensation for a Personal Injury?

Depending on the seriousness of your injuries, you may have needed extensive medical treatment, including emergency room care, hospitalization, surgery, and ongoing physical therapy or other forms of continuing treatment. The costs of treatment can add up quickly, and in many cases, it may total well over $100,000. You should be compensated for all expenses related to your past and future medical care. If you were unable to work while recovering, you should be repaid for the income you lost, and if you have experienced permanent disabilities, compensation should address the loss of the income you would have been able to earn during the rest of your career if you had not been injured. In addition to the actual losses you have experienced, you may also be compensated for pain and suffering and other ways your family has been affected. While placing a financial figure on these losses is not always easy, our attorneys can help you make sure the compensation you receive will fully address the harm you have suffered and allow you to move forward successfully.

Should I Talk to an Insurance Company Before Hiring an Attorney?

Insurance companies are in the business of making money, and this means they will usually do everything possible to devalue a claim and minimize the amount paid out. Even if you are making a claim under your own insurance company following a car accident, you may inadvertently say something to a company representative that could allow them to deny your claim or state that they are not responsible for certain types of expenses. It is advisable to consult with an attorney before contacting an insurance company. Your lawyer can speak to the insurance company on your behalf, and they can help you negotiate a settlement that will fully address your losses.

How Long Will My Personal Injury Case Take?

The timeline for personal injury cases can vary depending on the complexity of the case and other factors. If a settlement is possible, your attorney may be able to resolve your case more quickly than in situations where litigation will be required. If your case goes to trial, it may take multiple years to resolve. However, even out-of-court settlements can take several weeks or months to resolve as your lawyer negotiates an agreement with the other party that will be acceptable to you. Our personal injury lawyers will always keep you advised of the status of your case and inform you about the next steps, and we will help you determine the best ways to resolve matters as quickly as possible while ensuring that you will be able to receive the compensation you deserve.

Contact Our Cook County Personal Injury Attorneys

The personal injury lawyers of Dickler, Kahn, Slowikowski & Zavell, Ltd. have extensive experience representing clients who are seeking to recover compensation for their losses following an accident or injury. We work with our clients every step of the way to ensure they receive fair treatment and are able to obtain full compensation for their injuries. We can answer any other questions you may have about these matters and make sure you are prepared to take action to recover the compensation you need and deserve. To arrange a free consultation, please contact us at 847-593-5595.

We serve clients across Illinois, including Champaign County, Grundy County, Winnebago County, McHenry County, Rock Island County, Boone County, DuPage County, Lake County, Kane County, Sangamon County, Kankakee County, Cook County, St. Clair County, and Will County.

badge badge badge badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top